Friday, September 29, 2006

MY FIRST WORKSHOP

Two days ago, Nikki from JHR in Canada came to Tamale. She passed by Radio Justice and let me know that she wanted to shadow me for the day. With so much planned the next day, there would be lots for her to see.

So, the next morning I came in around 8:30Am, and the lights were out for the day. That meant that the documents that I had to prepare for my meeting on Friday would have to wait, as they were saved on a computer that could not be turned on. That was cool, roll with the punches. I just did some more planning and organizing for an informal workshop I would be doing with Hassan on "Research Skills". Just after ten Nikki came to Justice, and saw that the lights were out. I then informed her that the story that I was doing with Ramadan would not happen that morning as his phone was off and he was nowhere to be found. Rolling with the punches. We headed over to the internet cafe where I would type out the notes for my workshop at 3PM (or around that time with Hassan).

Nikki then went to lunch, and I met her when I was done. By that time it was nearly 2:30PM. I called Justice and found that Hassan was there, so we headed over to do the workshop. When we got there, Hassan had to leave to go and cover an urgent story about a play that this lady in the lobby was putting on. "Ok...", rolling with the punches. I got word just then that Ramadan was in the office, so we went down to the news department. He was there...fast asleep. I went over and nudged him, and he woke up very groggy. He had taken four tablets, when he was prescibed two, for a toothache that had kept us from beginning the story on the two previous days.

So we sat there listening to Ramadan tell all kinds of stories about pieces he had worked on and the risks and conflicts that he had faced.

I had a meeting with Razak about my presentation that I would be doing at Friday's general meeting. The meeting happened without a hitch!

We then went downstairs and did a few photos for JHR's records (Chris with the reporters shots), when we saw Soldier (the station driver, pull up with Hassan). Ramadan jumped into the car and they were about to go to the internet cafe. Roll with the punches??? Not this time. I talke to Hassan and he reluctantly agreed to go to the cafe later and to do the workshop.

And the workshop itself? It was great. Literally. He had a lot of great questions. The discussion was very enriching. He left excited and booked part two "Telling Your Story" for next week.

I realized that you do have to go with the flow, but in the words of Sister Saphora later that evening (speaking about a completely different subject), "that is Africa, it is a well: the biggest man with the biggest bucket gets the most water". That tends to be the world, but I saw her point.

The action continues today with a general meeting at 3:30PM where I will make two presentations about some upcoming projects, and I do my first formal workshop on Tuesday.

No comments: