Saturday, September 16, 2006

JUST SOME THOUGHTS

My update on the hospital ordeal took quite awhile to do. It was interesting for me, because I was reliving it all through my writing, but I was at a different place. During my time of writing about what had happened while I got sick and was recovering, there was a lot that happened. As much as I have written in these postings, there are so many stories that I have missed. I don't expect to write about every single thing that happens, but I am attempting to document as much of the major things as possible. More than the detailing everything, I want to convey 'where I am at' in everything sense phrase.

Quite often will be going through something, and I will think about how I would word the situation. It is really helping me to develop as a writer. I am seeing the value of the advice that I received from Gordon Parks (after searching out his phone number in the database of a former employer), where he said, "if you want to be a writer, than write". I am also grateful for all of the comments that people have posted or sent in emails. One thing that I did not expect was a few situations where people read something that spoke to their situation and even inspired a different direction or perspective on what they were dealing with.

There have been moments that I just smile and think of sharing them with everyone. One such instance was stopping for lunch with Kwaku after going to the hospital. I wanted a pizza, and asked Kwaku what toppings he likes. He was not particular about what was on it, so I ordered a veggie pizza (which had canned corn on it...it's not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it). I was eagerly awaiting the server who was bringing the pizza, and after blessing the food we began to eat. It was not until I was on my third slice that I noticed Kwaku struggling with his first slice. He had even taken some of the cheese off of it. Regardless, he was determined to eat it. He told me that this time he would eat one slice, next time he would eat two, and he would keep trying until he could eat a whole pizza.

It was funny to me, because he was having what I call a 'banku moment'. What that it is you ask? Well, I will give you the backround. After a week and a half in Ghana, and a few days deep into my stay in Tamale, I had eaten a lot of Ghanian food. I had enjoyed fufu, teazet (that's not the right spelling), red red, rice balls, and more. However, I had not had banku yet, and did not know what it was. I would soon discover though. I was eating at a restaurant with Razak and Ramadan, and the food in the bowl looked kind of like fufu. I took a few bites dipping it in the stew before my body began to say, 'whoa0h, what do you think you are doing!' I began to feel kind of quezy, so I inquired what I was eating. Razak informed me that it was banku, with is a starchy lump that is made of fermented corn. I could not take any more, and have resigned that banku, and it's close cousin kenke, are not for me.

As I watched Kwaku struggle with the pizza (after having seen him destroy a plate of banku a few days earlier), it became a full circle moment right in front of my eyes.

Another thing that I have been thinking about is the disparity and distance between those who have and those who do not. When ever you come to an intersection your car will be approached by people selling items (chocolate, rags, cds, oranges, peanuts, posters, books, rubber masks, screw drivers, dog chiains, and a lot of other things that you don't usually expect to purchase through a car window). Amidst these roaming sales people you often find people begging for money. Some are older people with handicaps being led from car to car by small children (their own or neices/nephews/grandchildren). Some are sick, with visible illness. Some just look like the are having a very hard time. There are actually a few people who I have come to recognize, as I see them so often.

There are times when I give someone some money, and other times where I don't. When I do give, my thought is about where that person will be tomorrow; will they still be on the street doing the same thing? I also wonder if I am really helping them; food to hunger is important, but having to beg for food everyday is hard on a person.

When I don't give to those who ask, it feels bad in my heart. I think about the word that points out how 'saying peace be with you and praying for someone who is hungry or naked and giving them neither food or clothing makes your faith void'.

The thought then goes to a grander scale of global economics, and my own career/personal aspirations. Without going into great detail, I will say that if you had the information and economic background to decipher all of the figures and contracts associated to debt, aid, currency values, and developmental standings of countries around the world, it would boil down to this: poor people are poor because people with the power to change it don't really want to change it. Please don't think that I am being cynical. Ask Stephen Lewis, Nelson Mandela, or even Bill Gates or Bill Clinton. We have the ability and capacity, but it is not a priority. In some circles, keeping the disparity in existence is a priority. Again, any scholar of economics could tell you that global equity in terms of prosperity would bring havoc to our current economic system.

That is all theoretical and I could go on and on about that, which I might do in a book or two, but the tangible reality and consequence is seen on the streets in Ghana. Even those who are not begging, but selling spend the whole say walking through traffic, breathing in the fumes to make 5-20 cents profit on a sale. And I think of some of the aspirations that I have: I would like to own a house in BC, and another in Ontario, and another abroad, and drive a BMW, and continue to travel around the world. A lot of people will never leave Accra (or Toronto for that matter). And Ghana is doing pretty well in terms of development, I can just imagine some of the other places where the situation is much more desparate right now.

I'm not saying that I should not have those things, if it's a part of fulfilling my purpose than it will be. Nor am I saying that because a majority of people go without that we should all go without; but if most of us don't have, how do we really enjoy? I think of Jay-Z's words: "I can't help the poor if I'm one of them / so the solution / I got rich / to me, that's a win-win".

With all of that said, it comes back to being in the car with Kwaku and Micheal and a woman that I have given money to before coming to the window to ask for help. I told her, "not today". She continued saying, "I beg you, I beg you. She then lifted her shirt to show me her stomach, and said I am sick. That struck me. I have been pretty sick here, but I had the money to get what ever treatment I needed. I have wondered what I would do, or what would have happened if I got the same illness and had to just solider through it on my own. All of that came back to me as we drove away. I thought about the money in my pocket and giving some to her would not hurt me at all!!!!!!!!!! Would it help her tomorrow, or the day after the next? It would have helped her today. I should have given her something, doing it unto God.

Still, I think of the bigger picture. I could go around with all of the money that I have and give it to everyone that needs it to eat today, and what would that do? We would all be hungry tomorrow, hoping that someone would decide to give up some or all of what they have to feed us. It is about broader change, and still doing the little things where we can be a blessing to people, and allow our faith to be void by acting on what we believe.

I could say much more, but it is 9:22PM, and I have not eaten dinner yet. Mama Ackerson is going to cuss me (lovingly, but firmly).

Oh, updates...my health. I have good news and...improving news. I feel much better and I don't sleep in the middle of the day anymore. I am done my malaria/typhoid medication and I am being VERY careful. On the 'improving' note, I have an infection in a vein on each arm from the intravenous. It hurts a bit and so I am taking anti-biotics. This has extended my stay in Accra until at least Tuesday. JHR is understanding the situation, so that is good.

Also, I have two people from Canada here (Adowa from Toronto) and her colleague Idessa (from B.C. - like me - who is very cool, also a writer). I also have two more families to meet (my friend Nana and the Bunnah family).

I have much more to write, but I gotta go eat before I get in too much trouble!

Stay Blessed

No comments: