Tuesday, September 26, 2006

FEELING GOOD TO BE IN TAMALE


Last night, on the way home from work, the sky looked like four evenings in one. To the east was a soothing sunset. To the north was the threat of heavy rain. To the west was the coming cover of night. To the south was a light blue sky, lightly streaked with clouds. Layata and I went to visit a friend of hers that was not feeling well on the way home from work. We were not the only ones who came, and it turned into a little party emptying his fridge (not emptying, but enjoying).

By the time we headed home, it was dark out. I settled in, ate some dinner and had so much fun with Chelpong and Melimba. I also did some rearranging (moved the mattress to the floor, as the bed frame hurts my back) of my room and some planning for the coming weeks.

Since my last postings, I have felt completely different. I am very happy to be in Tamale. I am enjoying it here, and I am excited about our upcoming projects. The ideas are buzzing in my mind and the staff are excited. I have had a few meetings and I will be presenting the plans on Friday.

There are some interesting challenges though:

1) My computer is mashed!!! Viruses have made a mess of it.

2) My computer speakers are gone. Replaced by some broken ones.

3) We don’t have internet access anymore as our director has some personal beef with the provider.

4) Rotating power outages and no generators means that we have to really adapt and do what we can when the lights go out.

5) There has been pressure by the Regional Director representing the current government to cease reporting on the recent cheiftancy dispute (which saw the chief murdered and his burial delayed by months up until now. It is an issue that led to some serious fighting between factions).

6) Ramadan. I need to eat to recover, but it is very awkward to eat anywhere.

With it all said, I am feeling great, inspired and motivated. There’s a smile on my face and I hope that there is one on your too.

No comments: