Friday, September 15, 2006

LIFE IN SAKUMONO

I feel abundantly blessed to be staying with the Ackersons.

Their place is on the fourth, and top, floor of a building called 'block T'. It is clean and spacious, and has a great view.

Mrs. Ackerson has made sure that I have been eating and taking my medication. Emmanuel and Micheal insist on ironing my clothes, while Mrs. Ackerson insists on doing my laundry. If she is not around, Irene makes meals for me. If I have to go anywhere, Kwaku drives me there (morning, noon and night).

In the evenings, I often sit with Mr. Ackerson and watch CNN or whatever else we find on television.

They all treat me like family and are doing their best to teach me Fante. I have a few nicknames including Chris Brown / Mr. Brown (after the teen heart throb of the same name), Kwesi / Kwesi Abroni (‘Kwesi’ meaning I was born on a Sunday, and ‘Abroni’ meaning White man), and Monster (as one little two year old boy, a nephew or something, cries when he sees me – he is scared of White people...I feel you kid, but were not all so bad...lol).

For over a week now, I have been resting well, eating great, and feeling much better. I have even had some blessed fufu (Mrs. Ackerson was praying as she made it and told me that it was blessed).

I constantly pray that their household is blessed, and I give thanks as I can imagine how I would feel if I was out here and did not have their love and support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,

This is Melissa (Wendy's sister). I heard you were sick but I'm glad to know that you're doing much better. I am reading your blog entries and I really do enjoy reading about your adventures in Ghana. You write with such description, I feel like I'm actually there! I'll definitely be back to catch up on your latest happenings. Anyway Chris, take care. The Clarke family misses you. :o)

Keep trusting God.

Melissa