Sunday, September 24, 2006

BACK IN TAMALE

Just under one month ago, I left Tamale to see a doctor in Accra.

One month later (and after three hospitals, a whole lot of medication, a visit to Cape Coast, Takraodi, Kumasi, some home care in Sakumono, and a lot of time for reflection), I am back.

I left Kumasi on Saturday morning at 7:30AM. Our air conidtioned bus had been downgraded, and part of our money refunded, delaying our departure. Two break-downs on the way, further delayed it. While the bus was without reclining seats and had the holes in them, it was also without loud Nigerian movies; however, sleeping on the bus was difficult. I prefer the noisy movies to the stiff neck trying to sleep. By 3PM, I was in Tamale, and I made my way through the awaiting hustlers and eager taxi drivers (ready to jack up the price) and found my way to the roadside and headed to my room in Mr. Fresh's house.

Along the roadside were so many familiar sights. While I felt happy about the prospect of visiting all of the people that I have not seen since I left, I do not feel very happy about being back in Tamale.

I also feel concerned, because when I was touring Kumasi with Nuri-Haque, I began to feel the same sypmtoms that I thought I had gotten past. I had to go and rest by the afternoon and actually slept for 15 hours (uninterupted...missing dinner) upon my arrival in Tamale.

At this point, I am weighing the options. My thoughts are many and I am taking the time to weigh and sort them.

I like the room that I have and the space I am given to read, write, study, plan, pray, and think. I also want to leave a mark of excellence in the position that I am filling here. So far, I have been hindered in achieving that goal, but I want to work to change that. JHR has been very understanding, but I do not want to ask for more understanding.

The option for a placement in Accra has been brought up and is being searched out. The benefits of that option are that: it will be easier to stay healthy, I have more people around that are looking out for me, and health care is stronger there.

I don't want to give up though. Going back to Canada at this point, feels like it would be giving up. Going back to Accra??? Not sure. JHR still has an obligation to Justice FM, and I don't want to disappoint the staff at the station. My health is a priority, so I am staying positive and being very careful; I am also closely monitoring how I feel attentively.

In life, when things turn out in ways that we do not expect, desire, or plan for (getting ill - repeatedly, stolen phone) it usually signals one of a few things: my attention needs to be drawn to something/away from something, I am doing something that I need to change, or I am going in a direction that I need to change. Disappointments or frustrations always hold a lesson if we look closely...so I am looking closely, looking for the lesson or the guidance in the situation.

One thing I want to add is that I have been thinking a lot about how so many people survive things way more drastic then working in a radio station in Tamale.

This Wednesday, Nikki from JHR in Toronto will be here and we will meet about the options before us. I will post an update. Until then, one step at a time, enjoying the gift of every moment.

No comments: