Friday, March 16, 2007

10 MONTHS AGO

Ten months ago, I got a phone call after work. I had just dropped a friend to the bus and I was heading home to begin the weekend. The call was from Emilee, who works for Journalists for Human Rights.

I can still see the parking lot, and the intersection that I drove to while on that phone call. I was told that I was being offered a position to work in Ghana .

Even though I had applied for the job, I did not have the expectation of leaving Toronto. At that moment, a window of opportunity was opened before my eyes. I was told that I had the weekend to think it over, and that they needed a response by Monday morning. The decision to accept the position did not come to me immediately. In that moment, a number of people were laid on my heart, and I wanted to speak to each of them.

Each of the people I spoke to encouraged me to go. On my own and in prayer, I recall thinking of not going for a few seconds, and the feeling I got was terrible. It was like I would be throwing away a God-given opportunity to enter into the next stage of my destiny; and it would be some time before I got another shot, and that shot would be more difficult.

I don’t need to tell anyone that I accepted the position.

Over the weeks of preparation, I saw God’s hand everywhere in my life. I learned the lessons that it is not “if God can” it’s “if God will”. I also learned (due to the fact that I was having a going-away bbq and still had not secured my plane ticket), that it is better to be embarrassed with people and be where you are supposed to be, then to save face and be out of step with destiny.

Once arriving in Ghana , the adventures were numerous. I visited almost every region of the country, I made some great friends, and I survived a long list of not-so-desirable circumstances.

Now, with just over 48 hours left in Ghana , my senses are heightened. I am savouring the smells and sights, people and places more than usual. My days are quite full between wrapping-up my placement, seeing friends, and preparing to leave.

My feelings are all heightened: there is some sadness, and some excitement which compliment each other, rather than compete.

Ghana has been good to me, and I plan to return (don’t know when). There are so many more stories and so much more to be said about this.

From here, I will be going to London for twelve days, for my first experience on the European continent. I will be whisked around the city between family and friends, then I will arrive in Toronto on March 28th.

I want to say that every text message, phone call, email, and prayer has been a blessing to me. If you could see the whole picture, the way each person’s place in my life contributes to this fantastic 3D panoramic masterpiece, you would know why I am so grateful.

I have a great destiny. I am so loved. I am blessed, not without trials, but blessed. I have a unique path, bringing me along a wonderful journey. And these things are true for each of us.

No comments: