Monday, July 24, 2006

THE ACKERSON FAMILY


Before I came to Ghana, I made sure that I spoke to a few of my friends that have family in Ghana for contact information. One of those friends is Melezia, and her family were the first contacts that I was able to connect with.
















Above: (top left to right) Melezia's eldest brother, Anita and Kwaku. (bottom left to right) Mr. Ackerson, me, Mrs. Ackerson, Emmanuel (Micheal was taking the picture).

I was given the cell number for Anita who came the same evening that we spoke with her brother to come pick me and bring me to there home. The drive was a nice one (about 40 minutes away) along the coast. They live in a nice area right near were many of the national ministers are housed. One intersting thing is that there are certain positions that have locations attatched to it. The police live together in a particular neighborhood, as do national ministers.

















Above: this is the view from the Ackerson home.

Over a period of four days, I came to their house three times. The first time was brief; we talked a bit before they brought me home. The next two times included looking at photos that I brought from Canada, dinner, and walking around their area to go and get some cocoa and kosi (it's like porridge and fried dumplings, but the flavour is much stronger and not really as sweet).
















Above: Micheal, myself, Emmanuel and Anita.

It was on the second night going home that I had my first encounter with the Ghanian police. They had waved us past a check-point when an officer saw me in the back seat. He then had us pull-over and acted like he hadn't waved us to continue driving. The officer was clearly looking for money from us, and -after attempting to reason with him for about 10 minutes - we were about to pay about 150,000 cds when Anita came up with a plan. She began to talk to the officer about 'being friends'. After they exchanged numbers a truck knocked over the police barricade accidentally. That was our chance to get out of there.

Upon driving away, Anita asked if I liked her plan. She told me how police tend to like "hanging out with young girls". She then commented, "see what Ghanians have to deal with?". The next night we took a different route to ensure we did not see them again.
















Above: this is the view of the drive along the coast.

They continue to stay in touch with me, and are looking for me to come back and visit when I come back to Accra.
















Above: chillin with Mrs. Ackerson.





















Above: Anita posing for the camera.

















Above: There I was about to eat with Micheal and Anita.

No comments: