Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A REALLY NICE WEEKEND

As of today, I have been in Ghana for one month.

In my first two weeks, it felt as if the eight months was going to be a really long time. At this point, it feels like it is going to fly by. I have the sense that it is going to be a very sad and exciting time leaving…sad to go, excited about the possibilities and the growth. Let me not get ahead of myself though…we can’t miss the real treasure of the moment with our focus gazing into an imagined future.

First of all…I apologize for the technical difficulties. My digital camera has been awaiting repair. There is a stripped gear in the lense, and I may have to go to Accra or Kumasi to have it fixed. It has been a “come tomorrow and it will be fixed” everyday since last week.

I have also had limited internet access for the past couple of days. The details of why this is…basically, people come and use the computer for too many things that have nothing to do with why it is here, and that can create problems. I will speak life though, as I see this issue coming to an end!

Regardless of that, here is my update.

Last week, I saw a letter I the reception area of the station that was inviting station staff out to the National Under-14 (years of age) Soccer Tournament being held in Tamale. For those of you who know my love for sports, you would realize how happy I was for the news.

The opening game of the tournament was the home team Tamale vs Kumasi. When I arrived, the game was about 20 minutes into the first half. I later found out that, while Tamale was dominating the match, Kumasi was up 1-0. Though the city is building a massive sports stadium, the current facility for major games (including the Tamale team the plays in the national premiership league) is mostly grass field void of bleachers. The field was lined with observers surrounding the entire circumference of the field, three or four people deep on all sides. Much of the time, you have to try and peek at the game through a few heads in front of you.

The game offered a number of exciting chances (as young as they are, these guys are good). Finally, with about 15 minutes remaining in the game, Tamale tied the match with a precisely placed header. The crowd went crazy – Literally. Hundred of people ran onto the field chasing the young man who put the ball into the net. People did flips and cartwheels, ran in circles, and a drumming chorus began. After a few minutes a handful of police officers stepped onto the field letting the revelers know that it was time to let the game continue. The game finished in a 1-1 tie…I really wanted to see Tamale get the go-ahead goal! The tournament continues all of this week. I went to another game on Saturday evening where I met a number of officials involved in the development of the sport in Ghana. I have not attended any games since then, but I plan on attending the semi-finals and the finals at the end of this week.

Though Friday evening was spent at the game, I still felt like I had some things to write, so I returned to the office to use the computer. I was actually there until about 10PM. When I got home, I ate and went to sleep.

Saturday morning, I was planning to go and buy some eggs to make. Usually breakfast is some tea and bread, so I was looking forward to some eggs. When I finally woke up, there was already eggs made, and I had a nice breakfast with Mr. Fresh, Sister Souka, Teressa, Chelpa and Malimba (that’s the family I stay with). After eating and getting ready, Sister Souka and I headed into town to do some shopping. I really wanted to by a garbage can for my room and a mat for the floor. With her help I found both. I also bought some groceries.

I picked up a few snacks (cookies, crackers and juice), some green tea with mint leaves (though I still have not found mint…they really don’t know what they are missing). One major part of my shopping list was materials for porridge. They didn’t have cornmeal or cream of wheat, but they did have oats. The other ingredients I found were brown sugar, vanilla essence, evaporated milk (fresh milk is rare and so is condensed milk), and nutmeg (I could not find cinnamon anywhere either).

So Sunday morning, Sister Souka woke me up asking if I was going to make my porridge. Groggy (as I have not been getting the best rest lately), I got up, freshened up, and got in the kitchen. Sister Souka watched me make it, as Mr. Fresh and his brother laughed that I was in the kitchen (which tends to be the woman’s domain). Terressa and Sister Souka found it hard to believe that some of the most respected chefs in the world are men. Anyway, I did it up and it was delicious. They are used to porridge that has pepper in it and is much more bitter. This one was sweet. They also enjoyed the green tea, and can’t wait to have my peppermint tea. Soon enough, they will be converted Jamaicans. Banku will be a thing of the best as ackee and sal’fish exports will fill the ports of Ghana…

That morning, I missed church as I was exhausted and not up to a taxi ride across the city. I enjoyed relaxing at home though . Lietas’ friend Florence came by to learn how to make some doughnuts and chips that she is going to be selling at a stationary store that she is opening. I watched them do that for awhile as I was doing some art with some pastels.

Later on in the afternoon Nuri-Haque and I watched the Chelsea vs. Arsenal match. I have never really watched premiership at home. I watched the Champions League (the continental competition between the various European premiership leagues), but I feel like I am going to get to know those leagues fairly well. I really enjoyed watching the match and I am learning the players.

After watching the game, Nuri-Haque and I went out to play some futeball. We were just doing some keep ups and passing the ball around. Eventually, some pretty talented young guys (Salman, Mousa, and Salman’s brother…don’t recall his name), joined us. We ended up playing for about three hours. Sweaty and dirty! You should have seen how thick the red dust of the road was around my chins.

Once the sun began to set, I went in to shower and eat. Then I was presented with an issue…we were having fufu for dinner. After my last experience with late night fufu (and I vowed never to do that again), I ate the stew with some bread and took enough bites of the fufu so as not to offend. Just to let everyone know, I was fine the next morning.

Once the week began, it was back to Justice. I will write a separate journal about what is going on here. We are working on a few stories (and if you haven’t guessed by the site) one of them is about HIV/AIDS.

Before I go, I just want to let you all know about a very nice dinner I had yesterday. Florence (who apparently is going to be Nuri-Haque’s wife) had Lieta and I over for dinner. We ate veggies and rice (which had chicken in it…but it was still called veggies and rice), some red wine, and some oranges for dessert. We ate as we watched Ghana playing against Togo, and with a mixture of local gospel and American Hip Hop on the radio.

I enjoyed the evening.

Oh, I have to add that the 11th of August was a dual birthday (my Dad and my Granny – his mother). I tried to reach them, but only got my Dad a few days late. It was great to speak to him as it has been awhile. A lot of the traveling that we did around B.C. when I was younger prepared me for what I am experiencing now.

Don’t think that I forgot that I promised a poem about the Cape and a write-up about the words “Abruni” and ”Silminga”…they’re coming.

No comments: