Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I HAD GUESTS LAST NIGHT...

I am coming into my own in Tamale. Yesterday I went back to the area with Lieta and went to clean my room up and unpack the rest of my things from my travels (you will be reading about that quite soon). After having dinner, Lieta’s brother, Humi, came by my room. I was about to start working on a poem when he knocked on my door. He was very interested in what I was writing and began to look at it. On the page, there was a list of words that embodied moments that had struck me:

African Genius
Am I not a man?
Free Forever - Nkrumah
The right to be a man – Malcom X
Nothing has changed.
What did you do with those prayers?

He went through the list and had me explain each line. Each line was a discussion leading into the next. Part way through our conversation, Lieta and her friend Florence came by. Soon after that, Mama Souka came in my room. It was five of us chilling in my room talking, listening to music, playing with my soccer ball. I was even showing them some small exercises that they can do to stay fit. When it came time to go, Lieta’s brother stayed back.

At that time he shared something with me that really touched me. He said that there was something that I said a few weeks back that stayed with him. I was having a conversation with Razak and he was asking me how I was going to last 8 months without a ‘wife’, noting that, “you can get cold in your bed by yourself”. I recognize that I am a man, but I told him that “the joy of the Lord is my strength”. He said that he remembers those words and thinks of the peace there is in knowng that He is our strength. I did not even know that he was listening to the conversation. How do I explain the warmth that he stirred in my heart?





















Above: Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's first President (50 Years ago this February).

Another part of our conversation that touched was about the words “Freedom forever”. He knew right away that those words were from a speech given by Kwame Nkrumah as Ghana became the first Independent African nation since the age of European colonization. He quoted the words that led up to that line. He then spoke of other leaders such as Dr. King and Malcom X. He was explaining what differentiated them from others. His explanation was “truth and righteousness”. He explained that when you speak the truth and you seek to live a righteous life, those are lights that shine on you and people have to notice that. They were not perfect, but they tried, and they gave their lives for the truth they were convicted of.

















If any of you can send books or articles by mail (as printing here is not really an option) on Malcom X / El Hajj Malik El Shabaz, he would really be grateful for that.

Being that I was really thirsty, we went down the street to the store around the corner. The store is on the opposite side of the house, which I had yet to visit. I was so surprised when we got there to hear music blasting and to see the street full of kids from about 6 years old to about 17...on a Tuesday night. He explained to me that a lot of the children don’t have strict households when they have a whole bunch of brothers and sisters and they are struggling to make ends meet. I found out that the man who owns the house beside the store is a musician that turned his compound into a night club. There is a stage inside, DJ and speakers. Apparently, it can get pretty packed in there. When I checked it out it was still early (about 10PM). I don’t know how people in that part sleep though, because the music was LOUD and it’s a club in the middle of a lot of houses.

Tonight we are going to watch a South African movie that I found called Tsosti. I really wanted to see it when I was in Toronto, but did not get the chance. I found it at a booth in Kumasi and look forward to checking it out.

Today I will also be attending the opening match of the national under-14 soccer tournament with the sports reporter for the station.

I still have not found my groove at work fully, but I feel it coming. I will let you all know more about that soon.

Oh, one piece of not-so-good news: my digital camera is broken. I hope someone up here can fix it. If not, maybe Accra or Kumasi? If not that, I might have to get a new one (which costs a lot over here!) so that I can keep the stories coming. Don’t fret though, I have a lot of photos from Cape Coast / Kumasi / Elmina that I will be posting.

Last night the moon was almost full and it was a sweet feeling to walk down the road and gaze at it. This morning, there was a cool breeze that was so refreshing. I walked down the road and felt like I was in the midst of an incredibly beautiful moment.

One last thing...Pierrette and Sebrina (plus the Ngoma family) went home yesterday. Of them all, I was only able to speak with Pierrette. She said something to me along the lines of "soak it all up"...it seems obvious, but it is becoming more clear to me how important that is, no matter where we are.

No comments: