Monday, July 24, 2006

WHY GHANA?

So you all know that I am in Ghana, and most of you know that I am working in a radio station. Some of the questions that have followed that explanation are:

"how did you get a job in a radio station in Ghana?"

and

"what will you be doing?"

This is my attempt at making this all very clear. I received a posting in December 2005 through my email of a position with a Toronto-based organization called Journalists for Human Rights (JHR). The posted positions were for placements in Ghana. The titles of the positions were "Journalism Trainer" and "Expert Trainer". I sat in a cafe near Yonge and Sheppard and designed a thorough application to the position, which I beleived I had the qualifications for...a couple of weeks later I received an email thanking me for applying, but I had not been given an interview.

When I saw the posting again, for a second wave of positions I applied again. When I was offered an interview, I did not expect to go. When I was offered the position, I only really beagn to think about doing this.

What's amazing is that I met a friend named Dahlia in an airport in Vancouver when I was about 17 years old. She had travelled the world and was of Northern European and Ghanian parentage. One conversation that we had stuck with me. She told me one of the greatest memories she has is of chilling on a beach in Ghana and eating freshly caught roasted fish. I thought that was amazing, and said, "I would love to do that"; I did not think I ever would though. Her reply to me was that, "You will". Her words made what seemed impossible to me a possibility.

While it is the opportunity of a lifetime, I did not decide right away. There was a few people on my heart that I wanted to speak to. I also wanted to take some time to pray and think. Of all of the people that were on my heart to speak with, the all responded with a glow in their eyes with a "yes". One thing to consider about this, is that all of these people wanted me to stay, but could feel what a powerful moment in my purpose this is. When I breifly entertained the idea of not going (because I love my city, my family, my friends, Rhema, Driftwood) it was a terrible feeling. It was like throwing away a gift from God and waiting for the fruits of this gift to come in another form without the sacrifice required to trully grow. So, when the weekend I was given to decide was up, my answer was affirmative - yes.

With that said, JHR is an organization that is based in Toronto and entrenched in Ghana. It has also set up placements in Sierra Leonne, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Namibia, and C'ote D'Ivoire (I think that is it?). JHR recognizes that the global presence of human rights legistaltion and bodies to enforce those rights needs to be followed up with a wave of awareness and education. While the rights are critical, knowing your rights and how to enforce them is critical. JHR has seen the media as the most effective tool for sharing this information throughout Africa, which is the focus of JHR. If you want to know more, check www.jhr.ca, but I will add that they are about partnering to build infrastructure and have a mandate to only stay in a country for five years.

There a various positions throughout television, radio and print media. I am working in radio. I will be working with journalists at Radio Justice with the aim of increasing human rights coverage, storytelling, and strong journalistic practices. We are funded through YPI and Canada Corps, who see a connection between this project and the Millenium Development Goals set by the United Nations and the Canadian mandate to promote "good governance".

For me, I know I am here to grow. I have seen an incredible amonut already. In terms of the position, I can see a great deal being exchanged, our lives are all being 'changed and affected'. I really like what one Ghanian journalist said in a JHR video which was that, "It's about sharing people's stories so that you get people thinking about other people's lives".

I think one other element of this is that we are becoming global citizens. As one trainer said, if you are not changed by this experience, then something is really wrong.

When I say we, I am speaking of the JHR group that I am in Ghana with. Below is a photo of the group in our second week of training. We spent one week together in Toronto and one week together in Accra. I have only known the group for a couple of weeks, but I feel like this process has made it so that I will always have an soft spot for members of the team.
















From Left to Right: Nick (Nick an Expert Trainer, Matthew in Sukyani, Kari in Takraodi, Jayme in Kumasi, Denis in Accra, Chris in Tamale, Ato the Country Director for Ghana, Erin in Accra, and Jessica in Accra) Note: Janey is missing from the photo as she was in England, but is now in Tamale (for the second time) with me.

















This is a photo of us meeting in the office in Accra, just down the street from the JHR house.
















A better lit photo of the JHR office. We met here in the mornings before venturing around the city and getting a feel for Accra.














This shot was taken at a restaurant near the ocean. We were having lunch during our week of training. If you could feel how happy I was to be near the ocean, as it has been five years since the last time. I am in the far right looking at the waves. That is what I spent most of lunch doing...I also had some fufu with dry fish and salt beef.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how our perceptions of Africa are shaped so heavily by media, it looks nothing like I thought it would, it looks beautiful. Lunch at a seaside restaurant...hmm, can't go wrong there. It all sounds so surreal and wonderfull (except for the 3AM neighbourhood prais session..lol!)

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»