Tuesday, December 26, 2006

THE HOLIDAYS BEGIN

My first day in Accra was spent in the house. I ate, slept, and watched movies. That’s it. It was a well needed rest. I went to bed late though after watching Duke squeeze out a win versus Kent State in NCAA basketball.

The next day, however, I headed to old Accra where the post office is. After about an hour of delays, a lady finally found my package (which was right where everyone else was searching). It was actually funny when one of the staff asked me where the girl at the counter was in reply to my request for my package. I looked him in the eye with a grin, “Are you really asking me where she is? How would I know? You work here, not me”. The look on his face seemed to agree.

When we finally got the package, which was full of Christmas items from my family, the customs lady punched some random numbers in the calculator and asked me for 571,000 cedis as tax. First of all, that tax is not correct. Secondly, it’s not going to the government. Eventually, I got her to accept 100,000, which is just over ten dollars Canadian.

While waiting, I also got my first taste of a sour coconut. I was really looking forward to eating fresh coconuts, but I’ll find some better ones.

From there, we headed to the university to see my potential placement at the University of Ghana radio station. I took a tour of the place, and I really like what I saw. I am still waiting to find out from Ato (the country director) whether or not that will be my placement as they are still in negotiations.

By the mid afternoon, I was back at the house. While I am getting holiday plans in order, I spent most of the evening just relaxing. Then it came, Mama Ackerson returned. We brought a whole bunch of packages up the stairs into the house. With her came Micheal and Francis. All together in their two bedroom apartment are:

Mr. Ackerson, Mama Ackerson, Sister Dada, Kwesi (the other one), Emmanuel, Anita, Irene, Micheal, Francis, and – quite often – Kweku. All of that, plus me.

We manage though, and we each have a place to rest our heads.

The holidays are going to fun and full. I am waiting to see Tamara who flies in today (we worked together at Canada Basketball). I will be going to lunch at a Caribbean spot on Friday with Adwoa and Idrissa, and their friend Sandra is doing a lunch on Saturday. I am going to meet up with Fiona this evening before she heads to London, and on Friday I’ll meet up with Ossei before he heads back to Tamale. I am also supposed to go and see Bella, as well as Yaw, Anokye and their family. Levida and Edith both have extended invites, and I have plans up in the air with Denis…so, there is lots to do. On Christmas though, I will stay here with the Ackerson’s. I also want to find an Anglican church for Christmas Eve service. Lots and lots to do.

No comments: