Saturday, November 04, 2006

Saturday Afternoon

First things first…Raptors win 109-92 at home (to a sell-out crowd) against the Milwaukee Bucks. I only read about the game, but Doug Smith’s retelling of the match for The Star had made amped. That’s 1-1.









At this moment, I am in the internet café in Tamale beside Ramadan who is picking up news from www.ghanaweb.com as we don’t have internet this week at work…you never know when it’s going to be there.

After a very busy week at work, I decided to come in for a full day to the office to get some things done. There are a number of great projects and ideas in the works and I am excited about them:

Guinea Worm Project (I secured advertising from the Carter Center, we are doing some documentaries, and I am writing an article on it)

Human Rights Song and Poetry Contest

“Freedom Thursday” show

“Serious Issues for Serious People” show

A workshop on Tuesday

Human Rights PSA’s to be done in the languages of the region\

And much, much more!

Tomorrow I should be going to play tennis in the morning, so that should be great! There are some really nice courts in my area with great night lamps. My friend Masumi is going back to Japan so I should be seeing her today before she leaves. I also have given the choir at my church some cds and they are learning “My Exceeding Joy” from the Rhema Worship and Praise album!!!

It is also sinking in that I am not going to be in Canada for the winter, but I will actually avoid the season. I am not trying to rub anything into any wounds. Just know that the grass is not completely green over here as I have been told that it gets so hot inside that we have to bring our mattresses to sleep outside. It has already been getting really hot inside. I really don’t like sitting in the house anymore than I have to.

The other day, I had my first guests. Denis from JHR (TV Africa in Ghana) was on his way to see the wildlife at Mole park and came by with this German friend he made named Thilo. I was really happy to show them around and host them. Sister Saphora made us some delicious spaghetti. On Monday, Denis will come back and stay at our house until Friday as he is doing some stories in the area.

The night they came we sat on the rooftop of a local restaurant and watched the sunset to some German concoction that mixes Star (beer) with Sprite. The evening was nice and we kept talking, even back at the house, until quite late. A mixture of economics and history was the main focus of what we spoke about. It is interesting, frustrating, disturbing and motivating to hear people’s views on Ghana and the African continent. Ok, before I open that discussion, I will hold-off until I have more than 11 minutes left on my time at the café.

As for now, I go home and see what’s for dinner. I will get a little work done, work on some poems, do some reading, and take some paw-paw (papaye) and some tea by Layata and Auntie while watching a movie (at least that’s what I think will happen – we’ll see).

To everyone at home: stay inspired, and know that purpose comes with one obedient step at a time. I have so much love for you all. To everyone staying in touch, thanks. To everyone connected in the mind, heart and spirit, I feel you!

No comments: