Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I won't write much today.

I was actually feeling really good last night about everything last night.

After going to the hospital again and dealing with that illness, the camera that my family sent to me not arriving, having come to the end of my funds after a lot of unexpected expenses, I came into some new obstacles.

With the health issues, I have been contemplating an option to switch to Accra, but I don't want to leave Radio Justice stranded and to give up on Tamale. Not knowing what my health issue really is (as tests show nothing), this decision is really difficult to make.

Then after following some hearsay, I found out that I was the only person working for JHR in the country left out of meeting with Michaeal Jean, Canada's Governor General who will be in Ghana next week. I found about it through word-of-mouth. It was not discussed with me and no effort was made to contact me or to explain the situation. When I inquired I was told, "honestly, you've missed enough time already".

I did the math though and accounted everything: factoring in weekdays I have missed outside of illness and extra days that I have worked, I have missed a total of 8 days (much of which I can make up through continued work on weekends, though I am permitted a week and a half over my eight months). While I have missed nearly 5 weeks of four months due to illness, I didn't think that would be held against me. All that said, a decision had been made. When I decided to discuss it with my supervisors based in Toronto, I was surprised at how the conversation went.

I was clear about where I stood on the issue and after all of that, I felt better. I felt peace in knowing I said what I needed to say. I was also disturbed that we seemed to be on such different pages. While I feel that it was not right, they know where I stand. In addition, I remain committed to the bigger goals. All around, we want to make the most of this posting and will stand and build on that common ground. As the date approaches, there are a lot things that remind me of the situation, but as the day passes, the situation will also pass.

That seemed like the climax of the storm, that was now passing - and I was stronger for it.

With that said, I was back on the job at 8am the next morning. After collecting some documents on the station pen drive, I got to the office to find that I didn't have it with me. I realized that I had not gotten back from the woman in charge. When I went back, it was gone.

That hit me hard.

After being told a lot of things about myself yesterday that I am not going to repeat, which stung even more because the reality is the opposite, I still felt good. But losing the pen drive the next day, it hit me harder than it should have. I just felt really lousy, like I am here to add on to the station, and here I am losing something that will be difficult to replace. I am going to try and see if I can buy another one, but I will see how soon I can do that, as they need it immediately.

I was wondering to myself why all these things are happening to me. My friend Fatimah said something to me that rang with truth in my spirit. She said, "it's not what happens to people that define them, it's how they respond that shows who they are".

You see, this morning, before losing the pen drive, I felt like, I am past this storm, and things can go smoothly for ahwile. That just made me wonder, "why".

I didn't worry too much as I am doing what I can, but I started to question myself. I just want to be excellent at what I do, and I am trying, but it doesn't seem good enough. I know that is a lie. I know it's not true. Yet, my heart was heavy fighting to overcome those thoughts and feelings.

Through it all, I thank God, I have been able to walk in love. I have been tried in that regard, but I have seen, through these hurdles, warmth permeate through.

Still finding my smile and pushing through to do work I really did not feel like doing, my day ended with clips from a segment on Oprah. It was about survivors of the holocaust and the legacy of "Never Again". I always think about the things that people are going through around the world whenever I feel that "why me" question coming on. It gives perspective.

One student spoke about an essay he wrote on the show saying that reading about a survivors story told him that he also could survive.

I then turned off the TV and headed downstairs. I met Ossei, the station technician, who informed me of a human rights issue he was absorbed in at that moment.

After filling me in on some details, he brought me downstair to meet a young woman. There she stood, with marks from razor blades all over her arms. I was told that they are also all over her body. Her uncle inflicted them upon her when she, at the age of 15, refused to marry a much older man, as she wants to finish school. She has been beaten and tortured over this. When Ossei went with the police to have him arrested, a group of about 10 men hit her with a stone, and began to fight them off. They had to leave, and will return with soldiers tomorrow.

And there she stood, with these marks on her arms. She was really still and matter of fact in her answers. She was going to stay with a friend, and we will find somewhere else for her when the family finds out where she is, as her father and brother's are supporting this abuse.

As heavy as my heart was today, and while all of what I was dealing with is not to described as nothing, it is placed in the perspective that I was being led to all day.

I can see the marks. She will always have them. She is 15. She just wants to go to school. Who are these people that they would seek to kill her today, after calling the police for these atrocious abuses? Who are these people that would fight the police to defend a man with such cruel hands, and such monstrousities in his heart?

We will stand by her through this and are treating the issue very seriously.

I can see the marks. I can see the pain. I also see hope, strength and the will to step out.

I pray, I plead, I commit, and I agree, she is going to make it.

So, let's continue to give love, to stand for truth, to take the lessons taht come our way, and to keep things in perspective.

No comments: