Tuesday, January 02, 2007

FIRST STEPS IN 2007

New Year’s day itself offered me my first chance to wear my suit.

I was invited to a thanksgiving service and a formal dinner that evening. The cause was the 60th birthday for my friend’s mother who was the first African woman to be appointed to The Hague, the international World Court: Her Excellency Judge Akua Kuenyehia.

The thanksgiving service took place in a Methodist church called Ridge. The testimony of Judge Kuenyehia spoke of her having sickle cell and almost dying from a brain hemorrhage. The minister that spoke after her gave an inspiring message. He referred to Joshua 14 and Numbers 10 to speak about having faith, which is believing God when you can not see the evidence of what you are believing. I also got a message confirming the importance of having an optimistic outlook, not doubting what you can do, but trusting what God can do.

The music was also really nice: the voices sounded like a traditional Methodist choir, and the rhythms and tonations were definitely Ghanaian. I purchased a tape from them, and headed over to the Alisa hotel for dinner.

The event was pool side, and was for 180 people. The tables and chairs were decorated white and mauve – it looked like a wedding. There was an emcee, a dj, and the National Symphony Orchestra. The dinner was on a buffet table and included chicken, fish, rice, plantain, potatoes, and salad; it was really delicious.

After eating, there were a few short speeches: one from her son, one of her daughters, her husband and a good friend. One the highlights was listening to both her and husband speak about there marriage which will be 35 years in July.

At first, the company at the table I was at was really quiet. It seemed that people didn’t really want to talk. I tried numerous times to start conversations, and eventually people started to open up. By the end of the evening I had made a few friends that I plan to hang out with.

While sitting there, I thought about a lot of things. Much of what I was seeing was encouraging for the future. I was seeing steps that I want to take, goals that are becoming real to me, and things I want to do in this life.

It was around 10PM when I got home. I felt quite happy, and have to say that it was a beautiful night.

No comments: